Whether communicating digitally or in person, it helps to understand different communication styles. This can lead to even better conversations and help avoid misunderstandings. Communication is a work of art. Although not everyone communicates the same, there are two main communication styles that people tend to adopt, Aesthetic or Pragmatic.
What Communication Style Are You?
1. Aesthetic: “It’s not what you said, it’s how you said it.”
- You look for the meaning behind what’s said.
- You enjoy verbal messages of appreciation.
- You prefer memorable or good experiences.
When Talking to an Aesthetic Person: You need to give affirmations, Use encouraging language, be aware of vocal tone, inflection, and nonverbal cues.
2. Pragmatic: “Here’s the bottom line.”
- You are motivated by practical, tangible things.
- You focus on the words people say, rather than the intent.
- You take criticism well
When Talking to a Pragmatic Person focus on the bottom line, keep messages short, and be direct.
How To Manage Your Style:
- Set clear goals with tangible results.
- Celebrate getting results.
- Reward yourself for leading effective conversations